Our mission is to provide high-quality music education in the Lake Atitlan region of Guatemala. As an Austin-based 501(c)(3), we operate by turning tax-deductible donations into scholarship assistance for children and adults.
Atitlan Music School offers a variety of individual one-hour classes, including piano, guitar, ukulele, bass, drums, voice, flute, sax, violin, and music theory. We also have two student rock ensembles that are gratis for these promising young musicians. Atitlan Music School students played this year as the opening act at the Atitlan Music Festival in Santiago Atitlán, and we are known around the lake as la escuela de música.
By word of mouth, our reputation is growing beyond just Panajachel and the lake. We now have students coming from other towns to receive music classes at our school. In the six years of our existence, we’ve hosted students from over 10 villages in the Lake Atitlan region, and now we are stretching beyond. Currently, la escuela teaches students from Sololá (a 20-minute drive), Tecpán (90 minutes), and Quiché (two hours). This is a clear indication that we are filling an important niche in the region, as well as our local community, providing an educational service that people cannot find elsewhere in Guatemala.
As a result of the school’s recent success and its growing reputation, more students are enrolling. We are now teaching 40-50 classes per week, and we should be able to meet our goal of 2000 classes this year. Because of the high number of scholarships we offer to students in financial need, we rely on corporate donations and philanthropy to continue our mission of providing high-quality music education in the highlands of Guatemala’s Lake Atitlan region.
What we do:
- We teach comprehensive one on one music lessons in the following instruments and fields: Guitar, Drums, Bass, Piano, Saxophone, Ukulele, Voice, and Music Theory.
- We have music ensembles with intermediate students.
- Ukulele Club gets together once a week.
- We have a recording studio for solo artists and bands interested in recording their work here.
- We Rent music Equipment and Instruments to the community and students. Also, bands occasionally rent a room at the school to practice together.
Thank you for taking the time to learn a bit more about Atitlan Music School.