SCHOOL OF MUSIC, PANAJACHEL FOR GIRLS AND BOYS
Our mission is to provide basic music instruction for children in Panajachel who may not otherwise have such an opportunity. We outreach to the community to recruit students and provide scholarships to study with qualified professional musicians.
We provide both technical and “ear” training, the instruments to learn with and a practice facility – a place to practice and advance in understanding of music theory. We are dedicated to enhancing lives through music and our goal is to make music, not money. The school is non-profit. Teachers are paid through fund raising activities both here in Guatemala and in the United States of America.
Progress Report – Things accomplished in our first year:
- Provided over one thousand individual private lessons to aspiring musicians from Panajachel and from several other nearby communities. Our students range in age from six to fifty-three.
- Included ensemble training for interested students on a weekly basis during the second half of the year.
- Provided tutoring in music theory for students of other schools.
- Prepared students for recital performances.
LONG TERM GOALS
- To increase the number of students and hours of practice.
- To develop young students into competent musicians.
- To have student performances for the community.
- To become a valuable asset to the people of Panajachel and surrounding communities.